An Overview of The Town of Fremont
Fremont is a town in Steuben County, Indiana, United States.The population was 2,137 at the 2012 census. Settled in 1834 as Willow Prairie, Village of Brockville, it was platted in 1837. In 1848, it was renamed to honor John C. Frémont, "the Great Pathfinder". In 1914, the first hospital in Steuben County was opened in Fremont by Dr. Wade. Fremont is located at 41°43′52″N, 84°55′57″W, four miles east of the interchange between Interstate 69 and the Indiana Toll Road (Interstate 80/90) on State Road 120.According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.8 km² (2.2 mi²). 5.8 km² (2.2 mi²) of it is land and 0.45% is water. As an oddity, someone traveling due east from Fremont crosses into Michigan -- not into Ohio. This is due to the early 19th century Ohio-Michigan boundary dispute over Toledo.